Why Motivation is Important?
Before discussing this topic, why motivation is important, here is a definition of Motivation:
noun: motivation; plural noun: motivation
- a reason or reasons for acting or behaving in a particular way.
“escape can be a strong motivation for travel”
- desire or willingness to do something; enthusiasm.
“keep staff up to date and maintain interest and motivation”
What is Motivating to You?
I think you would agree that what motivates each of us is very different according to who we are, what our life experience has been, and what we want. I guess that is why there are such interesting research such as The 5 Love Languages. This is a model created to explain how people are different and respond to different motivations.
Interestingly, often what we say what we want and what we actually do maynot always be in alignment. Therefore what was the motivating force that won?
Therefore does motivation have 2 parts? That which we seek to motivate us? Or that which actually does? The old habit to overcome? Perhaps this needs to go into a discussion of the power of the mind over matter or outcomes? I think a topic for another article. Back to the topic of this post:
What motivates you?
Let’s consider this in the following areas of life:
- Health and Well Being
- Business or Work life
- Personal relationships and
- Wealth creation
For me, what motivates me in these areas are:
- Increased energy and concentration good health brings. Interestingly these often increase motivation to succeed in all areas of life too, as an aside.
- Helping others in my professional life and receiving feedback that something I have done has assisted someone in their own business or life.
- Being available to those I am close too such as my son. He has asked me recently to help him achieve a goal by sitting an academic exam and so I am helping him achieve this.
- Being able to provide for my son’s and my own financial future. Taking responsibility for my own financial future is incredibly empowering and becomes more motivating as you go along this journey.
Why is Motivation Important?
Motivation is important to keep you on track to where you actually strive to be. I am currently experiencing this myself with a crazy blog challenge, all of which the pressure and intensity has all been of my own creation. I have had 30 days to write 16 posts but up until 3 days ago I had not written any? Why? Distractions. Higher priority of celebrating my birthday (for weeks) and then getting sick and injured. However, I thought to myself, well if I don’t achieve these goals this month? Then what will be the excuses next month? When actually am I going to truly commit 100% to this 12 month Challenge and stop the BS to myself???? So I guess what is motivating me right now is me not hiding from myself and not listening to a bunch of BS excuses. Instead stepping up and meeting the challenge. Just thinking of the latter as the option, feels so much more empowering.
I believe because “How You do one thing is how You do Everything”
This is so true. Unfortunately I am unsure who wrote this because
when I researched the phrase there are a variety of similar phrases all
attributing to different sources that until I find reliably where it
comes from I will say it is anonymous. If the author is uncovered I will
update this post and credit it appropriately.
The Key to staying Motivated
I believe the key to staying motivated is:
- To be clear about your goals.
- To keep them top of mind.
- Remember the passion for your goals. Why these goals are important to you. And
- Remain focused on how you will feel when you achieve your goals as you go through the process of taking action to achieving them.
However also remember, that this is all a journey. Life is a journey. Achieving goals is all about the process more than the arrival of achieving the goal. I have learnt more about myself by stepping up and committing to my blog challenge and I respect myself more too. Because once we achieve a goal, we set another one. So yes celebrate your achievements by all means, but enjoy, love and honour the journey as well. This is where Motivation lives and can get you through.
Please note, more articles on assisting you to succeed are featured here on this blog.
I would be delighted to hear why Motivation is Important to you and what motivates you: